What if God interviewed you for a new life assignment?
What if instead of Him just giving us our life assignments, we had to go through an interview process before being offered the job?
This is what it might look like.
Joseph Arrives For A Job Interview With God
God Gestures For Him To Have A Seat In A Chair Across The Desk
- marrying a pregnant woman
- facing extreme opposition from family, friends, religious & government leaders
- you will be required to relocate
- you will have to quit your present job
- you will also need to go undercover & escape to a foreign land
- eventually you will be transferred to another city where you will need to re-establish yourself in business as a carpenter
Oh! One more little detail :
- you will also be responsible for raising my Son
God Pauses Giving Joseph A Chance To Take This In
The two primary requirements are
- immediate obedience to my commands
- a strong ability to do the right thing no matter the cost
As I mentioned, there is no guarantee of monetary compensation for this position. Long hours with no vacation are required. Any questions?
Joseph Nods His Head-‘No’
I have reviewed your resume. I see that you are a distant relation of King David. Excellent! I have also spoken to your references. All of them described you as a just, upright & good man. Would you agree with their assessment?
Joseph: I think so.
God: Do you have any other questions?
Again, Joseph Nods ‘No’
God: Very good ! Based on your credentials & characteristics, I believe that you are the right man for the job. The position commences immediately. You will receive further instructions from one of my assistants shortly. Are you interested?
Joseph: Yes, thank you.
Both Stand Up & Shake Hands
Joseph Exits the Office
Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph but before they lived together, she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly. But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream . The angel said: ‘Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.’ All this took place to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet: ‘Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son & they shall name him Emmanuel’which means “God is with us.” When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife. Matthew 1:18-24
- a notebook
- a pen
- your imagination
In a pinch, I’ll let you use your smartphone BUT you must turn off Messenger & Facebook.
No Peaking At Others Answers !
- Describe it in your notebook.
- List them.
- Write down your skills, training, education. . .anything that comes to mind.
How would references (i.e., others) describe you?
How would you feel if you were offered the job?
- What did He say?
Are you ready to accept the job?
Is there anything that is holding you back from accepting it?
- Talk to God about these reasons.