Genesis to Revelation tells the story of God’s one desire. His longing , his passion from the beginning, from before the beginning was :
- To have a family, a unique people that were his special possession
- To dwell with those people on the earth
- To have a relationship with his people as a group (corporately)
- To have an interactive relationship (individually) with each person .
We Who Believe Are Carefully Joined Together
As Part of the Dwelling
Where God Lives By His Spirit.
In Genesis we see the first personal relationship between God & man.
When the cool evening breezes were blowing the man & his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the Garden. So they hid from the Lord God among the trees. Then the Lord God called to the man “Where are you?”. Adam replied: “ We heard you walking ……
In Exodus we see God interacting with Moses on A First Name Basis
It is said that God talked with Moses face to face as a man talks with a friend.
Although each one of the people were invited to have an individual interactive relationship with God most refused. God then implemented the corporate plan .
In the time of Exodus & for long years thereafter
- God led the people with a cloud by day & a pillar of fire by night
- The Tabernacle once finished was filled with His presence
- We see David having a personal interactive relationship with the Lord.
- At least twenty of the Psalms record two way conversations
- Again few other’s took advantage of their opportunity to relate to God directly
- The Corporate plan:Build a temple for Me
- David planned it & his son Solomon built it
God’s Plan Hasn’t Changed
God’s plan has always been
- I will dwell among you.
- You will be my people & I will be your God.
- Face to face
- Tabernacle or Temple
- God dwells with us.
In the days before his death & resurrection Jesus made some amazing & statements.
I will not leave you as orphans. I will come to you
After my resurrection you will know that I am in the Father & that you are in Me & that I am in you.
My Father will love you & we will come & make our home with each of you.
My Father will send the Holy Spirit – the Counsellor.
Holy Spirit will teach you & remind you of everything I have told you.
The little church at Ephesus lived in dangerous times. Within 3 years or so of Paul writing this letter the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed. Persecution of the Christians escalated. Hundreds of thousands died.
Paul’s words of encouragement were vital to their survival.
Paul said to the church at Ephesus
- You are joined together by Jesus.
- You all have access to the Father through the Holy Spirit
- You are loved, chosen, adopted & empowered
- You are the house where He dwells.
Peter writing to Jewish Christians says this:
You are the building stones for the construction of a sanctuary (dwelling place) vibrant with life. You are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of being a holy person . You are God’s instrument to do his work & to speak out for him. Chosen to tell others of the night & day difference He made for you: from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted.
No matter where we live in the world persecution for our faith is not coming it is here. Just 2 weeks ago 147 Christian young people in Kenya were martyred. In the USA last week Christian liberty was eroded again.
We live in times much like those of the Ephesians.
We need to remember & embrace the truth of Ephesians.
God Dwells Among Us
- Corporately & Individually
- Face to Face
- In the Cloud or In the Fire
- Tabernacle or Temple
Because Jesus Is Risen
- He Is Among Us
- He Is Within Us
Corporately & Individually
- Jesus Breathes On Us & Says
- Receive the Holy Spirit.
- I Have Carefully Joined You Together
- You are Part of the Dwelling Where God Lives .
We Tell The World
Of the Night & Day
Difference He Made For Us
Who will you tell today?