Last words are important. Jesus last words were :
It Is Finished !
What was finished? What did Jesus mean?
Most of us would say that He was referring to his death on the Cross would give us forgiveness of sin & life everlasting.
That is certainly true. It is the message of Easter.
I believe Jesus was saying much more then that.
Just before his arrest Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane. He said this to his Father:
I have completed the work you gave me to do.
I have completed down to the last detail
What you have assigned me to do.
Mission Accomplished. In three short years Jesus life work was completed. He was thirty-three.
His Mission Can Be Described In Four Words
The First Three Years
In the three short years of his public ministry Jesus had two goals.
Jesus came to reveal that God is a Father.
- A good Father who wants his children to come home.
- A father who is active in his children’s lives
- A father who loves & delights in his children
- A father who has done everything needed to restore the broken relationship with his children.
Jesus taught his followers how to have relationship with this Father in the 9-5 of life.
Jesus demonstrated how to :
- have conversations with the Father
- how to hear the Father’s voice
- be anchored in Truth in the storms of life
- use the Word of God as a weapon against the lies of our Enemy
Jesus modelled a life that was :
- secure in his Father’s love & approval
- aware of his Father’s presence
- empowered by the Holy Spirit
- lived with passion-purpose-peace
Jesus Lived The Designed Life
A Life of Passion-Purpose-Peace
The Two Sides of The Cross
Those three hours on the cross brought reconciliation. Everything that Jesus taught & modelled could now become reality in the disciples lives . That includes us if we choose to believe.
The debt has been paid.
We now have free access to the Father. We have a home. We have a family.
We can live
- secure in our Father’s love & approval
- aware of our Father’s presence
- empowered by his Holy Spirit
- with passion-purpose-peace
For most of us the above sentence is positional more then it is experiential.
We need serious renovation work done in our lives. We need to be restored.
Jesus described his life work; his mission in these words.
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me.
For he has anointed me to
Bring Good News to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim that
Captives will be released;
That the blind will see,
That the downtrodden will be freed
That the time of the Lord’s favour has come.
Because He Is Risen
We Are Reconciled
What Was Lost Has Been Restored
You Are Invited To Experience His Love
You Are Invited To Give It Away
Keep posted for the rest of the story.
I have a treat for you today. Here is Paul Baloche’s song Hosanna .